CBD has tremendous therapeutic potential to help with general health and well being. Outside of providing a relaxed and calm feeling, CBD has many additional benefits to your health and wellness.
Because CBD works with the human endocannabinoid system, researchers believe its benefits may profoundly impact how we approach wellness in the future.
Yet, although so many people are using CBD, we are always faced with the challenge of answering questions about dosing. The subject of how much CBD to take is one of the most common search queries on the internet when it comes to hemp. With so much information readily available, the area of determining the correct dose remains a significant challenge for consumers.
The reason there is so much ambiguity about correct dosing is mostly a matter of bureaucracy. CBD retailers are simply not permitted by the FDA to suggest dosages for specific conditions, although this is the information most requested by our customers.
While we cannot recommend how much CBD you should take, we can point you to some resources that might help, as well as provide you with a suggested method for determining the correct amount of CBD for your individual needs.
1. Consult With a Practitioner Specializing in Medical Marijuana
If you are suffering from any serious condition and are finding it challenging to determine the correct dose for you, finding a professional who specializes in the field of marijuana for medicinal purposes is a wise use of your time and resources.
These practitioners are well-versed in both THC and CBD and have the experience and knowledge to help you come up with a CBD dosing schedule that works for you.
To help you locate a specialist in your area, here are three resources to check out:
2. Find Dosage Information in Print
With our lives so dominated by digital media, it is easy to forget the wealth of information right at our fingertips in the form of books. While a retailer may not be able to print dosing suggestions for different symptoms or diseases, an MD writing a book about CBD certainly can. If you are unable to find a qualified MMJ provider in your area, obtaining a book written by one is your next best option.
One book we find extremely informative is called “CBD— A Patient’s Guide to Medicinal Cannabis” and is written by Leonard Leinow and Juliana Birnbaum. Leonard is the director of Synergy Wellness, a clinic that regularly uses CBD to help their patients cope with numerous health issues. In its pages, you will find whole chapters devoted to certain conditions that can be improved with CBD, along with dosing guidelines for each.
3. The Do-It-Yourself Titration Method
A third way of determining the correct amount of CBD products to take is to experiment using titration until you find the ideal dose for you.
Titration is a chemistry term that means taking small actions over time until the desired results are achieved. In the first two suggestions we gave, it is likely you will come across this method anyhow. So if you have the patience to undertake some experimentation, we can give you an overview of how to find the sweet spot with CBD so that it is useful for you.
One reason why dosing suggestions are so tricky when it comes to CBD is that the compound is adaptogenic. It has wonderful synergistic effects in the human body (and all mammals, actually) that quite literally adapt to an individual’s biological makeup. Researchers have dubbed it the “boy scout molecule” as it always does the right thing in any situation. Because of this, your individual results with CBD will vary according to a few key factors:
- Your own genetics and metabolism
- Your body weight and age
- Your physical condition
- Your ingestion of other things like pharmaceuticals or foods
- Your unique endocannabinoid system
Because each person is different, it may be impossible to know what the optimum dose of CBD is without some experimentation. The titration method requires some dedication and effort on your part, but it will pay off big once you know how CBD works for you as an individual.
Here are the steps to take:
- Get a notebook or piece of paper so you can record your results for at least a week or two. This is important, as the effects of CBD can be subtle. Many people have found that they have achieved the desired outcome so effortlessly they barely noticed. At this stage, you want to notice because this will be a major determinant of how much CBD will work for you.
- On day one, take half of a serving size of Goat Grass CBD oil. This will give you a general feel for the taste, texture, and process of taking CBD in general. We recommend holding it under your tongue for 30 seconds to two minutes before swallowing. This sublingual method allows the CBD to be absorbed into the bloodstream via the mucous membranes in your mouth.
- Continue with half of a serving for 2-4 days. Each day, record how much you took, and what (if any) changes you felt in your body.
- After four days, if you don’t feel any of the desired effects, you can increase your dose to the full amount suggested for your Goat Grass CBD products. Continue with this dose for another 2-4 days, recording your data as before.
- If you are beginning to feel better, remain at this dose for a while. If you do not experience relief, increase your dose again in small increments for 2-4 days at a time.
- Continue to increase your dose of CBD oil until you feel the desired effects.
- Down-titration: Once you reach a dose that feels right for you, reduce your dosage slowly and incrementally until your symptoms return. By doing this, you will be able to accurately assess the exact dose that works for your particular body type and condition through trial and error.
A Few Things to Remember When it Comes to Determining CBD Dosage
More is not always better.
Some people respond remarkably well to lower doses while others need much more to feel the therapeutic effects of CBD. If you find an amount that works for you, stick with it. Listen to your own body and nurture it with what it needs.
Pay attention to the time of day and adjust accordingly.
Some people find they like taking CBD at night for potentially a better night’s rest. Others prefer to take it in the morning to potentially alleviate stiffness and soreness. Other folks find that spreading their intake throughout the day every few hours is the most effective way to a calm and relaxed feeling throughout the day. Remember there are no hard and fast rules, and you can adjust your CBD dose to your own lifestyle and needs.
Be aware of drug interactions.
CBD has a high safety profile and reported side effects are minimal. However, it can alter the effectiveness of certain pharmaceuticals by increasing or decreasing their effects. If you are already taking medicines for a specific condition, we encourage you to do your research to stay informed of possible interactions.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Goat Grass CBD products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.